The Onnit Academy is a world renowned fitness facility that places a heavy emphasis on unconventional training.
I spent a day working out at their facility and enjoyed the opportunity to play around with all of their products and tools.
Of note is the adoption of DeFranco’s Gym. Another world class training facility that is fully integrated into the Onnit Academy. It is unconventional-functional meets conventional-proven, all under the same roof.
The place is oozing with awesomeness and permeates an aura of physical supremacy.
When I first arrived, I immediately noticed that there was some serious training going on. Squatting heavy. Swinging ape faced primal bells intensely. Welding steel maces ever so tactically. It became instantly obvious that this was a gym for real training and not one for just working out. People trained here to become masters of their craft.
It is a place people go to train when they become intensely focused on a goal; a home for those absorbed by a singular passion of optimal performance.
I signed up for a unconventional fitness class. Their typical workout formula looks something similar to what we did.
Conditioning Set- 10 minutes (we did 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds of rest of Airdyne sprints and sandbag cleans)
Movement Prep- 10 minutes (we did 10 rounds of a hybrid hip opening stretch and a core exercise very similar to slow reverse situp)
Primary Set- 10 minutes (we did 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds of rest of double kettlebell squats to press)
Cool Down- 10 minutes (we did 10 rounds of a 90/90 hip opening sequence and scorpion holds)
I was blissfully spent. Yet, not completely smoked and adequately primed for more work. The incorporation of the mobility exercises was unique and didn’t feel overly mundane. In other words, it was worked into the workout in a way that made the mobility portion seem important and not just an after thought (like it usually is).
I enjoyed the experience as it was vastly different from what I normally do. Like all the great artists of the world, I am going to steal some of the ideas I learned. I will take the best of what I did, rinse thoroughly, and apply to my own programming. At a bare minimum, I learned a practical way to incorporate mobility movements into my workouts.
Unconventional+ Conventional Fitness + Mobility= Optimum Performance
Beyond fitness, Onnit is also a brand that just makes good stuff. I was first drawn to their brain enhancement supplement, then decided to get savage with a Primal kettlebell. Now I frequent the online Onnit Academy for its vast knowledge base of all things fitness, health, and nutrition.
It is a one stop shop for optimal performance that aligns well with their motto.
My favorite Onnit products
- Alpha Brain– a nootropic supplement for memory, focus, and processing speed.
- Spirulina & Chlorella– super greens for super humans.
- Shroom Tech Sport– cellular energy and cardiovascular endurance.
- Strong Bone & Joint– build bone strength and reinforce structural integrity.
- Primal Kettlebells- train like a savage.
- Steel Maces– train your entire body while mimicking real world movement.
- Steel Clubs– enhance your primal fitness with this ancient tool.
- Apparel– I rarely endorse apparel outside of Never Brokun but I will in this instance.
The Onnit Academy promotes an Optimized Life. A few of my favorite articles are listed.
- 8 Underrated Attributes of a Champion (that you can adopt as your own)
- Why We Crave Sugar
- 1 Exercise That Fixes 99 Problems
- The Unconventional Olympian
- 13 Steps To Sustainable Fat Loss
- 12 Ways to Lose Fat & Keep the Weight Off
- Life is a Physical Fitness Test
Here are a few of the main hubs on the site linked by category.
If necessary, bookmark this post so you can review my recommendations and links directly to each category. The Onnit database holds a superabundance of great information to help inspire and fuel your journey to greatness.